Beware dodgy gutter cleaning man!

Alan F Harrison
👍

Fri 14 Jul 2023, 13:08 (last edited on Fri 14 Jul 2023, 13:19)

The problem with reporting rogue traders is that they know where you live.  Window and car damage is the least of ensuing outcomes.

Interesting that Lucy Wawrzyniak has evidence on film.

We'll engage reputable traders next time.

Rachel Brushfield
👍

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 22:46

It is really important to clear out gutters once/twice a year using a reputable provider. All the heavy rain in the last few days is a good reminder of why to do this. 

Bruce Claridge
👍

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 20:26

Please report this to the police or trading standards or both.

Alan F Harrison
👍

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 12:44 (last edited on Wed 12 Jul 2023, 17:31)

You fared better than we did.  We were taken for a ride and not on his bike.  Most of the gutters were not touched.  Claimed window cills needed resticking.  Came back next day to restick.  Was here for five minutes and disappeared. My ladder days are over and I can’t check them. 

Steve Jones
👍 10

Wed 12 Jul 2023, 01:39

This would be the same chap I came across in Ticknell Piece, whilst he was lugging a ladder along with a broken orange bucket. He did ask me if my gutters needed cleaning (a Sisyphusian task), which I politely declined. However, he did ask if I had a bucket to replace his failed one, and far worse than anything Henry could have fixed with a straw. I had an identical, albeit unbroken example, and he insisted on paying me £4 for something which I got from B&Q for half that amount.

So, no complaints from me, and the profit from this transaction means that I can almost afford a half pint of beer in one of the local hostelries.

NADINE MILLS
👍

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 15:57

We said no thanks but many of our neighbs in Marlborough place said yes - I can’t voucher for the quality of the work but we thought him a bit shifty - who knows? 

Tim Gosling
👍 1

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 10:48

He came to us as well. He said that he was working just down the road. Obviously a very busy chap.

Emily Algar
👍

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 09:03

He's been to The Green too knocking on houses and pointing out guttering that needs cleaning. He wasn't aggressive but maybe we were the first on his round. We did get called "love".

Charlie M
👍

Tue 11 Jul 2023, 05:19

Sounds like the same bloke who rang my bell two days ago.

He did *NOT* call me 'babe'. Or 'doll'. Thank goodness.

In fact I am not sure if he called me anything, because the door was closed again before he had finished speaking.

michele marietta
👍

Mon 10 Jul 2023, 23:07

Yep he came by here as well. Called me 'doll'. Oy vey.

Lucy Wawrzyniak
👍 1

Mon 10 Jul 2023, 19:29

We have just had a man, roughly in his 30s with dirty blond hair, black clothes and a very cheeky, chirpy chappy demeanour, knock on our door saying he is finishing his day having cleaned gutters for our neighbours. None of our neighbours have used him and he got very aggressive with another neighbour when she didn't open the door. We can see him on our camera filming Hill Close while he waited for me to come to the door. He then called me 'babe'.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.