Oh no! Richard's become an incurable flasher!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 1 Jan 2010, 21:27

I'm just whinging I couldn't do a modern web page to save my life, html 1 was my limit... ironically doing one of the first 100 or so websites then never touching website development again as I went elsewhere - talking about missing the bus for an entire generation of tekkies!!! For some reason even with flashblock on, the charlbury website is bringing down the old inspiron - 1.8ghz pentium4 and 512mb ram also running xubuntu 9.04 - with a warning that there is a script causing the computer to run slow and do I want to terminate the script. No idea why, usually only got those on some BBC websites which are flashing hell for an older computer even with flashblock. No problem with the new laptop from Linux Emporium all set up lazily for me with 9.10 and it does look pretty with the snow - how did you do the effect, is it added in or an actual video clip?

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 31 Dec 2009, 21:29

Malcolm: if I disable Flash on either Firefox or Safari, the site works just as it used to previously. It works fine, too, on an antiquated PowerPC iBook. You are welcome to submit a patch to do a snow effect without Flash, but with similar audience reach, if you want to...

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Thu 31 Dec 2009, 16:00

You could always use Firefox and the Flashblock extension, which I have used for a long time now.

Flash rich sites can be a real pain, I agree, but I like this Charlbury use of flash, and I think you are exaggerating to say you need a such a powerful core2duo and 4GB ram to get the Charlbury website to work. It works fine on my old acer laptop with a celeron cpu and 512 MB ram, running Ubuntu 9.04.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 30 Dec 2009, 23:29

My case rests on the website m'lud

Now my old Inspiron laptop won't work with the website at all. Good thing Santa brought me an up to date dual core machine. Its a sad reflection on the web that one needs a core2duo and 4gb of memory and 64bit Linux Ubuntu to just run a website... what happened to hypertext markup language?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.