Roadside verge cutting.

Philip Ambrose
👍 3

Tue 29 Aug 2023, 18:54

Thanks to OCC for finally getting round to this. As said by others, mowing a metre or two each side of the road benefits wildlife, pedestrians, cyclists and motorists, while leaving some wilding space too. 

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Sun 27 Aug 2023, 19:56

Much better visibility along the road to Woodstock- even with a one pass cut width of the machine.  Safer for everyone 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 9

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 13:58

AS I've said previously they do this in Gloucestershire so there no reason it can't be done here. It also benefits walkers because they can step into the verge, and probably cyclists too because car drivers get a better view round corners. 

Graham Wisker
👍 9

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 11:29

Gareth, perhaps I should have been clearer.   I was referring to the verge cutting. We are in a agricultural and farming area where there is a hell of a lot of green spaces between the roads.  So to take a 1 or 2 yard belt along of a road wouldn't really make any difference. Like a previous reply to my post it will also make it safer for walkers as well as cyclist.  Yes I am I  favour of biodiversity but let's use common sense. 

Gareth Epps
👍 6

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 08:24

If we all forgot about biodiversity, we’d soon find we didn’t have any food.

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Mon 26 Jun 2023, 08:02

The primary function of roads is to allow the movement of vehicles - therefore safety of these movements is and should be considered. Signage and warning markers are being obscured and with poor and worn away road markings ( especially at junctions) is non conducive to road safety 

Helen Harrison
👍 1

Sun 25 Jun 2023, 20:40

I TOTALLY agree with you.

Graham Wisker
👍 13

Sun 25 Jun 2023, 20:23

Forget this biodiversity farce,  to me verge cutting is vital to wildlife. Two weeks ago, about 9pm I followed a large tractor and trailer towards Kingswood,  a large badger came straight out of the uncut verge right into the path of the trailer, with fatal consequences. Being an hgv driver, I cover a lot of the UK road network and seen so much road kill, including deer and badgers.   If the verge was cutback it would enable the driver to slow down as they would see the animal.  To me, it would be like having your front door opening straight out onto the road.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.