Ground level gate access- 9 Acres at Enstone Rd x-road end?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 15:07

That's - unlocking the gates - is the cheapest solution. But does it work to put one on the gently graded peripheral path, or onto the smaller playing field below the 4-foot steep dropped bank. I'll have to walk the land again to check levels. The route I outlined would be of gradients quite within the capabilities of a mobility buggy for someone injured or whose age has rendered shank's pony a nostalgic memory of yore. And on your own as a parent, at the other end of the Shakespearian 7 ages of man (sic) there was the rigmarole of unshipping non-mobile kids out of the buggy or backpack, putting them on the ground, climbing over, pulling over buggy or whatever, and re-shipping the load of kids (or if returning via the scenic route) also un- & re-loading the shopping/books etc which would inevitably fall out of the luggage rack of buggy if left on board - and so on so forth.

I'm also concerned that, unless some sort of restraint is put on how far the gate would swing open (I can visualise a few ways to rig that up) there is the possibility of vehicles or large "things" getting in and causing damage. If there are people with the double-plus unhood "value" set that motivates to to decapitate near-tame ducks and swans...

If the gate entrance - which could be re-smithed to incorporate a pram/buggy/mobility scooter entrance without putting one at the bottom a a steep, slippery grass drop - worked out that is a possible solution. If the levels to make a gently inclined route through the southern edge of 9 Acres then a gate with safety barrier somewhere near the stone stile will be indicated.

I've been frustrated by that awkward and risky stile entrance at the southeastern corner for 18 years, first with little children, now with decreasing mobility of myself and mutt! I really don't enjoy the long trek down Enstone Rd with vehicles whizzing past and would much prefer to follow the alternate route in the 9 Acres fields!

James Styring
👍 2

Fri 23 Jun 2023, 10:32

I agree Paul it would be best made openable, dogs and children can jump over the stile anyway.

Paul D Jenkins
👍 8

Thu 22 Jun 2023, 20:48 (last edited on Thu 22 Jun 2023, 20:49)

As the current chair of Nine Acres I think we can simply unlock the jubilee gates. Surely that is the solution to allow an easy access point and walkway through the area?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Thu 22 Jun 2023, 17:25

Claire - there isn't any problem at all with finding a gently sloping and even way down around the edge of the fields and then along to the Playground and Community Centre area, providing a nice green-grass route around the periphery of the formal Football pitches below the "escarpment" edge which is totally fie for child buggies - even little-wheeled foldaways - and wheelchairs.

When I was young and fit before being helicoptered out of 9 Acres after cycle accident on the steep-side bit - being too impatient to take the trailer-bike the long way around the gentle slope!! - it was easy to just hoist the kids over the stile, three-wheel buggy over, resume walk to shop via watching football games/practices and obligatory going-and-coming-back play on the equipment.

Now, despite the kids being grown, neither myself (or ageing arthritic dogs) can safely get over the stile.

So the natural route of the "greenway" to shops, centre, etc, is shut off to me and enthusiastically - and leashed - mutts.

Thus destroying the recreational and travel to/from the shops/centre through the nice environment.

Go walk the land. See for yourself. 

There is no barrier for buggy, wheelchair etc from any sharp slopes. 

Without a gate or kissing gate (suitable for big prams and long wheelbase terrain buggies - we found so often we had to lift ours over kissing gates because they were too short! - that entire eastern end of 9 Acres is now shut off to me and no doubt many others, hugely reducing the "utility" of a major part of the Town's facilities to us as we can only access it at the Health Centre entrances.

As for kids running out straight onto the road - why, just take a look at the entrance to 9 Acres up towards the Heath Centre. All it takes is one barrier. Easy peasy.

Claire Wilding
👍 3

Sat 17 Jun 2023, 08:06

This has been discussed by the Town Council and Nine Acres Management Committee, recognising that it would provide a good short cut for many, but there were a few issues.  Namely the dangers of children/dogs running out on to Enstone Road crossroads and not wanting vehicles to drive on.  We also discussed creating a new pedestrian gate in that corner, but the pathway from there down to the park/community centre is not really suitable for disabled access due to the steep bank and relatively narrow path. It was felt that a better option would be an improved accessible entrance further down Enstone road, near the existing steps and ramp. 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 4

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 17:57

The gates should be open - they were put there to commemorate the Millennium hence the name Millennium Gates!  John Merriman (alas no longer with us) was the instigator of these and would not be pleased if they weren’t being used. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 2

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 16:28

I seem to recall that there were plans for a ground-level gate access for pedestrians, baby buggies/prams, and aged dogs, who can't safely navigate the (uneven) stile into 9 Acres? Neither myself nor my ageing Goldendoodle (on lead!) can safely get in there anymore - much to his upset (and mine) on the way to the V-E-T!

What plans are there to facilitate entry at that end of the recreation ground/park (with or without dogs) for people who might like a bot 'o green on route to the Community Centre or Shops? Currently its barred to ageing or infirm persons at that end.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.