The Bell

Susan Terry
👍

Sat 9 Sep 2023, 18:15

Does anyone know if The Bell is open (for drinks) this evening - Saturday? 

Matt Bullock
👍 1

Fri 8 Sep 2023, 20:39

Open tonight!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Wed 6 Sep 2023, 13:19

The Bell website is showing room availability from 17th September onwards…

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 27 Aug 2023, 19:46

With the hive of activity that has been going on, things are looking good to the exterior, is there a date for the opening? 

Christopher Tatton
👍 7

Sun 30 Jul 2023, 08:50 (last edited on Mon 31 Jul 2023, 10:08)

I like Paul and Mark think that the investment put into the Bull and Bell is excellent for Charlbury, the quality of  restorations and landscaping are fantastic. The ambiance, the food, drinks and staff at the already opened Bull are a real asset to the community of Charlbury. However I do wonder if sufficient car parking has been made available in the Planning process or is further off street parking planned? 

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Sat 29 Jul 2023, 17:24

The works to the Bell continue and looks very impressive with the landscaping and exterior areas, providing another venue in the town for all to enjoy and provide work for local people. A brief visit to the Bull yesterday, shows the staff are predominantly locals ! 

A major investment, and providing a further asset and place for the community and visitors to enjoy.

Paul D Jenkins
👍 27

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 21:42

Living right next to the Bell for 20 years I am really excited about the new project. There is serous investment being put into the building and the garden I understand is going to be properly landscaped and cared for and open to everyone, which is a far cry from what it has been for the last three years. We should be thankful that someone is investing properly in a real town asset that can be used by everyone.

Peter Kenrick
👍 6

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 21:41

You are correct Helen.  The whole garden area below the car park is a protected local green space under the Neighbourhood Plan.  The recently approved planning application (23/00392/LBC) made mention of re-instating this area as a pub garden but certainly did not include construction of a BBQ (or any other) building there.  I believe any construction in such a location would require planning permission but that is only my opinion and not definitive.

Rachel Ramsay
👍 9

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 21:36

I’m delighted it’s been bought by the Bamfords - couldn’t have asked for better. In their hands it’s guaranteed it will be a lovely space to be with amazing food and beautifully thought out interiors, just like the Wild Rabbit, Fox at Oddington and Maytime. A huge improvement on what it was before and especially on having it sitting there empty for years. 

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 19:51

The Bell garden is a protected green space - was planning permission needed for the new bbq building?

Catherine Kimmance
👍 9

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 15:02

I don’t think anyone who knew The Bell would argue with Matt’s comments about the financial clout required to bring the building back to life.  I’ve only seen it decline over the past 40 years for lack of serious investment.  Look forward to seeing all the local pubs flourishing! 

Paul D Jackson
👍 6

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 10:13

Having been a local for the Tollgate in Kingham now the "Wild Rabbit" I can concur with the comments that it is competitive and locals do regularly go for the cheapest pint of Hooky in the area, an original promise made by Lady B when it was reopened.

Catherine Kimmance
👍 7

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 09:06

With reference to Matt Bullock’s post re prices; beer prices at The Wild Rabbit in Kingham are lower than at The Rose -not with the variety of course!  House wine price is also similar to most pub prices now.  Obviously you will pay higher prices for your particular choice and they can be much more expensive.  The house wines have always been good but you must ask for them specifically unless you’re happy to pay higher prices.  I’m making assumptions here that pricing will be similar to The Wild Rabbit.  It made good sense for a local pub to keep locals happy and maybe this was the policy when Daylesford took over The Tollgate in Kingham years ago.  I haven’t visited The Fox, Daylesford’s latest acquisition/refurb maybe someone has experience of prices there.  I just wanted to let Matt know that he hopefully won’t be paying £10 a pint and The Bell bar will be as popular with locals as it has been in the past. 

Charlie M
👍 10

Tue 20 Jun 2023, 01:20

I am somewhat bemused by the term "ingredient-led dishes". Surely ALL dishes have ingredients in them! Another jargonistic assault on the language?!

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 23:16

Thanks Susie!

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 20:13

Lots of job and employment opportunities here locally ! Only a good thing from all the negative comments previously made. 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 5

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 18:00

A bunch of job opportunities at the Bell have just been added to the Daylesford website: https://careers.daylesford.com/Department/All%20Vacancies

Amanda
👍

Mon 19 Jun 2023, 17:21

https://www.soglos.com/news/food-drink/new-daylesford-pub-to-open-in-the-cotswolds-this-autumn-2023/21600/

karen simpson
👍 8

Sat 17 Jun 2023, 14:12

We were wondering why diggers had cleared all the growth around the stream, a new open building with BBQ over the stream. Hey ho , more green areas to the centre of charlbury destroyed.

Miranda Higham
👍

Sat 17 Jun 2023, 08:47 (last edited on Sat 17 Jun 2023, 08:48)

Ah yes Angus, I now see the capital difference in my post!

Angus B
👍

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 23:04

Thank you, Miranda; I mistakenly thought you might’ve read ‘Cotswold Inn’ for “Cotswold inn”! Apologies.

Matt Bullock
👍 30

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 15:30

I agree Susie. There seems to be a bit of displeasure at Daylesford's acquisition of the Bell. Not sure why. Yes, it's not going to be a 'ham, egg and chips for a tenner' sort of place  - I'm sure people would have complained if it was, (ie JD Wetherspoon had taken it on) - but it will be open, selling food and drink, offering accommodation and providing jobs and bringing people to Charlbury. Very few people would have had the financial clout to buy the freehold, restore the property and run it  in these still very difficult economic times. We should be glad somebody stepped up. I'm looking forward to going into the bar for a pint. Even if that costs me a tenner.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 6

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 13:07

Rosemary I think you’ll see that the link you gave doesn’t refer to the Bell but part of the Lionhearth inns.  The Bell is owned by Daylesford which is good for Charlbury as it will create jobs for the town.  What’s not to like?

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 09:49

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/lionhearth-pub-group-cotswolds-expansion/

Cottages as well…. Welcome to Toryland.

Miranda Higham
👍

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 08:40

That’s very useful info Richard. Page 55 map shows Major addition to original boundary, which includes Charlbury

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 7

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 07:53

It’s been in the Cotswolds AONB since 1990: this PDF has a detailed history of the expansion of the AONB.

Jackie Hague
👍 1

Fri 16 Jun 2023, 07:42

Hi Miranda, this from the Cotswolds AONB 

https://www.cotswoldsaonb.org.uk/visiting-and-exploring/walking/cotswold-gateways/

Miranda Higham
👍

Thu 15 Jun 2023, 23:19 (last edited on Thu 15 Jun 2023, 23:49)

Hi Angus, i am referring to the article saying Charlbury is in the Cotswolds. I’ve heard some people say it is, others say it’s not.

Angus B
👍

Thu 15 Jun 2023, 23:00

I don’t understand your comment, Miranda. Are you suggesting a name change?

Miranda Higham
👍

Thu 15 Jun 2023, 17:09

‘Cotswold Inn’. Should this move to the debate section?

Paul D Jackson
👍

Thu 15 Jun 2023, 10:48

https://www.boutiquehotelier.com/the-bell-at-charlbury-daylesford-opening/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.