Box bushes at risk

michele marietta
👍 2

Thu 7 Sep 2023, 23:09

Miles went out and disposed of about fifty caterpillars today -- the poor box hedge is looking like it's been dragged backwards through a, er...hedge.

Don't forget to check for the eggs as well. Apparently they weather the winter well and pop right up and hatch in the spring.

B******s.

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Thu 7 Sep 2023, 19:10 (last edited on Thu 7 Sep 2023, 19:11)

I thought our box hedges in Park St were looking a bit sad and sure enough, these caterpillars are the cause. Worth checking as a September treatment is apparently critical to stop them overwintering.

Miles Walkden
👍

Wed 14 Jun 2023, 15:49

I've checked our box hedge a couple of times after seeing this and it looked healthy.... 'looked' healthy I say! Top Tip - look all the way round at the back. There you will find the webs and the devastation. 

We have the nematodes, but what can we do quickly to stop the rot?

Nikki Rycroft
👍 4

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 21:04 (last edited on Thu 8 Jun 2023, 21:07)

There was a devastating invasion of the box moth caterpillar in the South of France a few years ago.  It has been mostly contained and eradicated by the regular use of Nematodes which seem to be much more effective than pesticides, with obvious advantages. 

This is from www.greengardener.co.uk

This unique mix of different nematodes will control box moth caterpillar on your box plants PLUS use it on fruit and vegetables to control the main insect pests including carrot root fly, cabbage root fly, cutworms, onion fly, sciarid fly, caterpillars, gooseberry sawfly, thrips, and codling moth. Box Tree Nematodes are safe to use on food crops, is suitable for use on organic crops and it will not harm pets, children, wildlife or bees. Box Tree Nematodes needs a minimum temp of 12°c and is a perishable product, so order when you are ready to apply – normally between March and October. Supplied in sachets as a powder, which is mixed with water and applied with a sprayer treating up to 60sqm– to treat a smaller area just make the solution stronger as it is impossible to overdose.

– Apply the Box Tree Nematodes 3 times at 7 day intervals when the the caterpillars are first spotted and re-apply as necessary to keep caterpillars at bay. We supply in a triple pack of Fruit and Veg NemaMix Nematodes (3 sachets per delivery – apply 3 times at 7 day intervals).

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 16:32

Hello Andrew, I have spider mites on one of my box bushes. These are apparently harmful, but I'm confused about the many possible remedies for them.  Do you have any helpful ideas?

Diana Limburg
👍

Thu 8 Jun 2023, 07:22

Thanks for sharing this Andrew, I was wondering what is eating my box! I'll try the spray.

Andrew Lawson
👍 4

Wed 7 Jun 2023, 21:13

If you've got any box hedges or bushes, look out for a new pest that has reached Charlbury gardens.  The box caterpillar has devastated gardens in London and it has recently appeared here in Church Street, for the first time. These critters invade in big numbers and can munch through a box hedge in a fortnight if you don't protect with specific sprays.  'Top Buxus Xen Tari' or Dipel DF are recommended. The caterpillars are striped yellow and green, and shelter under a web-like tent, which you need to tear back to reveal the caterpillars before picking them off or zapping them with spray. In contrast, do welcome almost any other kinds of insects,  and their larvae, which have collectively been having a hard time.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.