bus stop

Frances Mortimer
👍 1

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 22:16

Hi Emily yes it was only the latest service that got cut, there is still a 22.58 from Charlbury to Chipping Norton (or 22.59 from the new stop) - bus timetable is here: https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/Timetables/Oxford_Timetables/S3_current.pdf

We've tried to pull together lots of useful information about the buses on the TC website here: https://charlbury-tc.gov.uk/buses/ (updated map with new stop is being added). Please do let us know if any other info would be useful. 

Good news that the £2 single fare cap is being continued until end October now, although a big shame that Pulhams wasn't able to make that work.

Emily Algar
👍

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 13:52

Thanks Richard for confirming. I thought Stagecoach had cut the late-night S3's from their timetable or was it only the 23:45 that got cut along with the N7 via Oxford Parkway?

Liz Reason
👍 6

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 11:07

The new bus stop is the result of the town council's campaign to encourage bus use and publicise the £2 fare.  We knew there was a bus stop at the Enstone Road Xroads for certain buses travelling to Chipping Norton, but even the drivers didn't know about it.  Even though there is a bench to wait at!  So we contacted OCC and it was confirmed that there is indeed a bus stop there and the new sign was erected a few weeks ago.  And drivers now feel confident to stop there.

Carl A Perkins
👍

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 10:24

Pulhams don't participate in the £2 fare cap scheme which is why they are quite expensive compared to Stagecoach

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 10:10

There are S3 buses from that stop to Chipping Norton at 18.25, 19.30, 20.59 and 22.59. The first two go via Taston and Chadlington, the others via Enstone.

I agree it’s a shame the X9 is expensive, and (perhaps not unconnected) that neither of the bus companies appear to have ever done anything to promote their services in Charlbury. Getting the X9 to the Chadlington Beer Festival on Saturday was super convenient though!

Emily Algar
👍

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 10:03

I also have a question about the bus stop. It says buses towards Oxford/Witney/Chipping Norton, which obviously isn't correct... I know the buses go via Enstone or used to when they ran late at night - S3/N7 - but given Stagecoach as axed those, isn't it a little too late?

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Mon 5 Jun 2023, 09:33

Why is the bus SO expensive though? £17 for one adult and 3 kids return to Chippy this weekend.....

john h
👍 3

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 17:19

Thank you .we do not have a phantom bus stop after all.  John H

John Partington
👍 3

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 14:32 (last edited on Mon 5 Jun 2023, 08:19)

"... and you can click/tap each line to see a live map of where the bus actually is right now."  Richard, you never cease to amaze!  I learn something new every time you post here.

I find that the S3 is sometimes a few minutes early on The Slade.  I missed it a couple of days ago for that reason, but drove to The Duke (there's good free parking opposite by the bus-stop) and caught it there despite it having a quarter of an hour's start on me.

And did you know that if you buy a bus ticket to Woodstock you can get 30% off your Blenheim annual pass?  Not bad for £2 (or nothing if you're my age)!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 11:45

Laura – if it helps, the live bus times are on the front page of this website (top right), and you can click/tap each line to see a live map of where the bus actually is right now.

Please do call Thames Valley Police to report obstruction as on Friday’s case – it’s absolutely unacceptable.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 11:17

The strange bus stop that John H is asking about is used by some late evening S3 buses that run to Enstone and then to Chippy late evenings. This is after the no 7 buses have been discontinued. Most (or all?) of these buses don't go to the Bell. 

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 10:27

It could be that because there is a new driver on the route and if there is a lorry or car parked in front they don’t see it.  The one on Wednesday didn’t stop either but no one was there !  In fact I had a ride to Witney on my own!  But people must use the buses - use or lose it!

Laura Macy
👍 3

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 09:04

I think the bus stops are in the right place, but there have been some problems with buses in the past week. One X9 to Chippy just didn't show up (at the Bell) at all on Thursday (I don't know why; I waited 45 minutes) and on Friday a giant lorry at the Bull held up both X9s for a good half hour (actually, not such a good half hour). I only know of these two instances, but waiting at the Bell I had company in my misery. At that lonely Enstone stop it can feel like the whole bus stop is a decoy when this happens!

john h
👍

Sun 4 Jun 2023, 08:48

Is the bus stop sign on the Enstone rd in the wrong place?, seems a strange place to wait to wait for a bus. John H           

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.