Govt. to cut wifi connection on trains?!

Emily Algar
👍 2

Tue 23 May 2023, 08:42

I hate to say it, but I always found the GWR wifi connection pretty good. I also know a lot of people who use it when working on the train.

Katie Ewer
👍 6

Tue 23 May 2023, 07:06

Wow, once again the UK is going backwards compared to the rest of Europe. 

Helen Chapman
👍 4

Mon 22 May 2023, 23:14

I’ve never once managed to join the GWR wifi - 4g on a phone way more reliable.

Michael Flanagan
👍 3

Mon 22 May 2023, 18:18

"networks will need to be re-nationalised",

So we'd lose the choice between Chiltern and GWR - and go back to the four trains a day between Cby and London we had in my student days.

Advocates of renationalisation seem to forget that virtually all the line closures in the sixties were planned under State ownership. And. the closures were carried out under a Labour government.  

Charlie M
👍 1

Mon 22 May 2023, 18:07

Possibly one should welcome this move, because it will discourage passengers using the privatised rail networks, with the result that the rail companies will lose money and their networks will need to be re-nationalised, which, I would argue, they should have remained all along!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 22 May 2023, 15:40

To save money apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/may/22/rail-passengers-in-england-could-lose-wifi-access-amid-cost-cuts

==================

Rail passengers in England could lose wifi access amid cost cuts

DfT tells operators wifi is low priority for travellers and they need to justify business case for it

Gwyn Topham

A man uses a laptop on a train

A man uses a laptop…

Long post - click to read full text

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.