Spam re Helen Bessemer-Clark

Brian Murray
👍

Tue 9 May 2023, 15:44 (last edited on Tue 9 May 2023, 15:45)

The National Cyber Security Centre will investigate scams. Full details can be found at;

https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing#:~:text=they're%20genuine.-,Emails

Hopefully the above link can be/will be made live by the charlbury.info team.

Helen Chapman
👍 2

Tue 9 May 2023, 15:12

Changing her password won't necessarily help as this doesn't always mean an account is hacked - spammers are sometimes able to spoof 'from' addresses and send email as though it comes from other people's email addresses. The best thing for her to do would be able to ask advice from her email provider as to whether there are any settings she can enable to prevent this.

Kim Sale
👍

Tue 9 May 2023, 14:05

Thanks Alan that's really helpful.

If you suspect an email is spam there is usually an option at the top of the screen to report as spam and to block messages from the sender. I am with BT internet and the 'report as spam' feature is in the drop down menu under the heading of 'more' at the top of the email text box. I hope that helps. Kim

Alan F Harrison
👍 1

Tue 9 May 2023, 13:22 (last edited on Tue 9 May 2023, 13:25)

Kim 

We have spoken to Helen.

Regards

Alan

Alan F Harrison
👍

Tue 9 May 2023, 13:09

Report scam where?

Kim Sale
👍

Tue 9 May 2023, 12:54

I reported as scam Alan. If you also report the email it will help. I do hope someone is able to make contact with Helena.

Alan F Harrison
👍

Tue 9 May 2023, 12:50 (last edited on Fri 12 May 2023, 17:18)

We have received such emails.  Helena’s telephone may have been hacked.  When we asked sender to relate memories by email there was no further reply.  

Apart from the bank, is there an organization which takes action against scammers?

Kim Sale
👍 4

Tue 9 May 2023, 10:12

Is anyone still in contact with HBC who uses to live in the town? I've received some fairly convincing emails from her email account today asking me to purchase Google play gift cards for a relative who is unwell. If anyone has contact via phone, could you please make contact with her and let her know. She may wish to change her password.

Thanks

Kim

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.