St Mary's Quarter Chimes

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 9 Nov 2009, 20:32

The people of Charlbury responded magnificently to the appeal; around £2,000 was raised which covered the cost of repairing the chimes. During the repairs, though, it was discovered that the hammers were in very bad condition and required some extra work. (Careful listeners will have noticed that the chimes don't sound exactly the same as they did before - rather more gentle, I think.) This cost around £1,000 extra which the church has fortunately been able to cover.

We hope to soon place an order for a new organ, to replace the existing one which has given good service but has become very temperamental - for example, on Sunday, one of the notes on the main keyboard (the 'Great') decided to give out half an hour before the Remembrance Day service. I believe we have so far raised around £13,000 of the estimated £21,000 cost.

John Munro
👍

Mon 9 Nov 2009, 20:11

So nice to hear the quarter chimes again. I assume the church finally managed to raise all the necessary funds to repair them?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.