Horse excrement on hill/road going down to the train station

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 9 Apr 2023, 08:43 (last edited on Sun 9 Apr 2023, 08:46)

Colin Critch - unless you walk in the middle of the road obstructing cars it is difficult to avoid stepping in excrement in this case - as I said before the way it has been spread about by the rain earlier in the week. Go down there and you will see - unless someone has already cleared it up

Anyway, Happy Easter everyone :)

Marjorie Glasgow
👍 2

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 18:49 (last edited on Sat 8 Apr 2023, 18:51)

Speaking of horse manure, we have well rotted horse muck available free of charge* again this year at Bobwell Farm.  Please contact mglasgow@theridgegroup.com if you'd like to come by and collect some for your garden or veg patch.  Please bring your own bags.

*if you have a bumper crop of veg or flowers, please donate to The Cornerstone for the Give & Take

john h
👍 3

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 17:33

In the "good old days" a lot of delivery horses had a hammock like bag under their tail to catch any poo , so a nappy is not such a daft idea. 

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 7

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 15:37

I remember when the Morris was dancing outside The Plough in Finstock and some horses went by and we were just careful where we put our feet. Just a part of country life :-)

Alan Cobb
👍

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 13:37

Tim, its bad enough being sploshed with dirty water from said potholes as cars drive over them, I would rather not be splashed with saturated horse poo!

Wendy Bailey
👍 13

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 13:36

Thanks for bringing humour to this topic, surely horses are part of the charm of living in our town, horses do what they have to do. If residents are willing or happy to use the poo, can't see what the issue is. Let's just enjoy a beautiful Easter Bank Holiday weekend  eh. 

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 10

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 12:52 (last edited on Sat 8 Apr 2023, 12:56)

If we could just ask the horses to do their business directly into the potholes then it would be a more cushioned jolt should the cars drive over the said pothole and everyone would be happy 😁 🐴 🚙 🛵  🚲

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 11

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 12:33

Horse poo + hot tar, mixed together, makes ‘chalico’, a really noxious but very effective sealant for wooden boats. I realise there are probably more people on this forum with allotments than wooden boats but just in case…

Miles Walkden
👍 7

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 11:14

I love this post. Next we can have someone complaining about the loud bells on Church Street!

Jan Going
👍 1

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 10:37

Horse nappies - that's the answer!

Michael Flanagan
👍 12

Sat 8 Apr 2023, 08:15

When I was a lad in early-1950s Liverpool, most of us followed the horse drawn bin lorries and dairy traps with scoops. We'd collect their dung for our backyard veg or flower patches and everyone was happy.

It helped of course (a point Nikki misses) is that horse dung smells nice, agricultural and a real antidote to pre-deindustrialisation smoke, while dog poo smells horrible.

Perhaps the real answer to Alex's worries and Nikki's explanation is for riders to announce on this website where and when Dobbin's left a pile of compost. It'll be on someone's allotment  or raised beds within a few hours.

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 22:22

TBH I heard a presenter on LBC radio complaining about it and it struck a nerve. Surely the council should be clearing this up if the rider is too pushed?

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 22:20

LOL Matt Bullock! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 22:17

Thanks for that graphical explanation Nikki Rycroft! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 22:14 (last edited on Fri 7 Apr 2023, 22:14)

Be  my guest, Rod Evans! 

Matt Bullock
👍 19

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 20:46

A swan pooped on the Thames Path the other day. I complained to the King but he’s done nothing about it.

Nikki Rycroft
👍 18

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 19:54

The main reason for clearing up after dogs, particularly on pavements,  in parks and elsewhere where children play, is the risk of  horrible toxicara canis a parasitic worm, carried in the intestine of dogs,  which can cause blindness. Carnivore poo is  far more toxic than herbivore poo, which is little more than accelerated compost, and as others have said, of course wonderful for your roses. 

The other reason is fairly obvious, that riders would find it near impossible to dismount, get a shovel and pan out of a rucksack while holding their horse in the middle of the road with cars stacking up behind, shovel it up while hanging onto the reins, dispose of it, and usually impossible, remount in the road.  Think about it ! 

NADINE MILLS
👍 7

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 19:22

fantastic and free compost! My grandfather would have loved that for his roses - I don't see this as an issue - far greater issues on our roads - see potholes debate.

Simon Walker
👍 5

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 14:21

Maybe it's time the Town Council reintroduced the post of crossing-sweeper ....

Rod Evans
👍 11

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 11:25

Give me a shout next time Alex, will happily collect it for my compost....

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 07:10 (last edited on Fri 7 Apr 2023, 07:14)

Sorry to moan here (again!) but where the horse pooped, the rain has spread it around all over the road and onto the path. Very difficult to avoid walking in it. There is too much of it it to have been a dog. Unacceptable. 

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Fri 7 Apr 2023, 07:03

Is there a difference between allowing your horse to poop on the road without clearing it up and fly tipping? It is anti-social behaviour and the owner should be made to clean it up. Just like dog owners have to. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.