Charlbury Canoe Club

Dave Bird
👍

Tue 10 Nov 2009, 21:23

Hello Celia,
What an absolute pleasure to hear from you.
Thankyou so much for your comments.
I remember you well, I believe you lived in the cottage next to your Mum & Dad.
Your Mum & Dad meant the world to me, They were always so welcoming and over generous with their praise for our efforts at the Club.
I remember their cottage as always being so cosy. Cups of tea & Cake as soon as you walked through the door.
Your Mum was one of the kindest and loveliest ladies I have ever known.
Bill, an absolute Gentleman, always happy and of course singing.
I do miss those days and would love to get back to Charlbury some time.
I hope you and your family are all well.
Give my love to your Mum for me.
Please pass on my regards to anyone else that might remember me from the old days.
Dave.

Celia Faulkner
👍

Mon 9 Nov 2009, 14:56

Hello Dave
How lovely to hear from you. Bill James was my Dad, and starting the Canoe Club had been a long-held dream for him, one which he had worked towards for many years. The first hurdle was the clearing out of the Mill Cut and repairing of the dam, which he and other volunteers started, using spades and shovels and bags of concrete. Later, the river authority saw what they were doing and then offered to help. When young men like you got involved and the Club was formed, he was 'over the moon'. You did such a lot to encourage chldren and young people to learn canoeing - they did activities every week, visits to Donnington Bridge to learn how to make their own canoes, a fund-raising row (from Chadlington to Eynsham?) - it was a great time for him. Thank you David - you are not forgotten! Celia

Dave Bird
👍

Tue 3 Nov 2009, 23:24

I was amazed recently when I came across the Charlbury Canoe Club whilst I was messing around on-line.
I was one of the original instructors along with Jim Grant.
I spent many memorable hours on the River, times I shall cherish for the rest of my life.
I also fondly remember taking Bill James out on the River after I finished my night shift at "Leylands" I would be half asleep But Bill would be singing at the top of his voice. He loved every moment of it and constantly thanked me.
I congratulate you Hugh for keeping the club going. I hope I can get back to Charlbury one day and join you for a relaxing paddle on the Evenlode.
Dave.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.