Best place to live??

Rod Evans
👍

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 10:53 (last edited on Mon 27 Mar 2023, 10:57)

Totally understand the concerns expressed by Matthew & Anna - but is there evidence to demonstrate this beyond the nos of properties shown on the Airbnb website?  I know of people in London who sometimes let their own homes on the site to help pay the mortgage.  If you can do that in a not terribly salubrious part of east London, you can surely do it here. 

And - if my quip about 'knowing thine enemy' is one of the comments Tim has in mind, I can only say I would feel a certain pride if the likes of Murdoch, Clarkson & Liddle regarded me as one of theirs if only they had the first clue of my existence!  But I'm still waiting for an invitation to one of those 'north London dinner parties' they keep banging on about despite having lived there for several years...

Anna Cherry
👍 10

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 19:07

I agree with Matthew - let's just keep our amazing cohesive community quietly working well for everyone who is fortunate enough to live here.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 15

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 14:04 (last edited on Sun 26 Mar 2023, 20:31)

Good news. Charlbury appearing on these lists makes it a magnet for Airbnb investors who buy up the limited housing stock in the town.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 7

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 12:09 (last edited on Sun 26 Mar 2023, 12:27)

It’s well known, of course, that every other town in Britain has a Facebook or Nextdoor group that is full of sweetness and light and where no-one ever argues with each other…

The Sunday Times likes to mix it up every year – it wouldn’t be much of a draw if they just repeated the same towns year after year. They had some lovely choices this time: Melbourne, Bishop’s Castle, Rutland.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 5

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 11:55

I imagine the judges did their research and read some of the comments on this website.

Rod Evans
👍 1

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 11:01 (last edited on Sun 26 Mar 2023, 11:03)

A Sunday Times arrived this morning instead of the usual Observer.  Well, it helps to keep an eye on the enemy from time to time...  But what's this I hear you cry?? Charlbury is NOT named as even the best place to live in the region (which are we in btw?) - not even 'mentioned in dispatches'.  Surely some mistake??

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.