B4022 The Slade proposed zebra crossing and B4026 30 mph

Mark Sulik
👍

Tue 28 Mar 2023, 11:46

Sitting in my home I only hear engine noise , not tyre noise - obviously the frequency of the sounds alter inside/ outside?  

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 2

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 16:35

Can we keep this thread to Charlbury, please?

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 16:25

Alan, I work in Windrush which is on a cycle route judging by the numbers of cyclists you get going past. They're either yelling at each other, or surprisingly, have music going without headphones and you can hear them long after they're out of sight and out of the village,  when you can no longer hear cars (apart from the noise on the A40)

Alan Cobb
👍 2

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 10:20

I find the loudest noise from cars going up and down Dyers Hill is from the car radio, which lasts longer the slower the vehicle is going.

Michael Grant
👍

Mon 27 Mar 2023, 07:55

Also just to note , motorways use a very different type of Tarmac.

Motor ways prefer longevity of the road surface over road noise.  So motorways are a lot louder than it would be if you compared like for like road surfaces.

As a side note, if we wanted good road surfaces that needs little repair in our town, we could but would mean the road noise is louder.

Adrian Hunter
👍 1

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 22:58

Decibels are not a linear scale, they're on a logarithmic scale; so they don't just add up: each 10dB means the sound intensity has increased ten times - so 30dB is ten times louder than 20dB, and 100 times louder than 10dB. Four times 60dB doesn't equal 240dB, thank goodness, or we would all be deaf before our first birthday!

But I agree that a driving licence is a privilege and not a right; with it comes the expectation that one will drive responsibly, carefully and considerately. My own concern is that a blanket imposition of 20mph  might actually cause some impatience and lack of consideration; people don't seem to regard the current places where it exists, and so I think drivers may just disregard it - how will it be enforced/policed?

Simon Hogg
👍 15

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 20:49

Nearly all of the sound from a car (diesel or petrol) comes from the sounds of the tyres. All tyres have decibel ratings, c 60-80db per tyre, therefore a car with 4 x 60db tyres is generating 240db of sound. Stand on a motorway overbridge and all you will hear is tyre roar. If we have 10,000 vehicle movements through the town at high speed, it's a lot of noise, is everyone deaf to this; it's not always engine sound.

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

Of course as that refers to the EU, that will be antagonistic.

As for those advocates for speed, look at this, you might recall this when (if?) you took a driving test https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/learning-to-drive/stopping-distances/

A driving licence is a privilege, not a right and disrespect for speed limits says a lot about what you think of your fellow humans.

Peter Astbury
👍 4

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 19:28

i have driven for a living for a lot of years when you see a parent  cross the road  yards from a crossing  with a child  what does that say to the child sorry i disagree with 20 mph limits 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 17:27 (last edited on Sun 26 Mar 2023, 17:28)

Also, as a general point, cardiology have told me not to bother calling 999 for her because it'll be quicker for me to drive her in to A&E. The last time I did call 999 they told me I should plan a route avoiding 20mph zones because I'm not an ambulance and I don't have lights. Hopefully they'll get her sorted ASAP, but I won't be the only person who's been given this advice. 

Harriet Baldwin
👍 1

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 15:03

I drive an automatic due to disability, I guess we have to hope my mother dies soonish because I won't be driving from my house to her house if her call alarm goes in the snow and I need to be there ASAP to call an ambulance. 

Christopher Tatton
👍 2

Sun 26 Mar 2023, 09:04

Best of luck getting up the step slopes of the Slade at 20mph in the ice and snow Simon. 😂 Everywhere else should be ok and is better at 20 mph. 😁

Mark Sulik
👍 5

Sat 25 Mar 2023, 15:32

Low gear - higher reving engine - more noise , all on a wide road with good visibility and pavements -Reduce speeds in the narrow town centre streets and have a person in front waving a red flag 🚩 

Simon Hogg
👍 18

Sat 25 Mar 2023, 10:34

If you cannot drive a car at 20mph, should you be driving at all?

Caspar Morris
👍 3

Sat 25 Mar 2023, 07:27

Many years ago there was a move away from zebra crossings to light controlled which were deemed safer, but I think since the change in the Highway Code rules we will see them becoming more popular again. 

And some dropped kerbs and a bit of paint is a lot cheaper! But I’m sure our cash strapped councils wouldn’t put finance over safety. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍 3

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 22:09

Putting in a downer - it *should* be a traffic-lighted *Pelican Lighted* crossing!

With kids 5 years difference in age I spent YEARS crossing that road to the School and I'm not sure a *Zebra* is emphatic enough...!

Chris Wastie
👍

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 21:06

plus the orange lights flashing 24/7          chris wastie

Christopher Tatton
👍 7

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 19:22

Be interesting to see how many cars get stuck going up and down the hill on the Slade in the ice and snow at 20mph or less, just sayin. Can see the the  sense of 20mph in most parts of Charlbury, especially near narrow pedestrian pavements. 😁

Miles Walkden
👍 6

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 17:45

Yey Zebra, Boo 20.

Helen Chapman
👍 7

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 17:19

Great stuff, thank you town councillors for your work on this!

Jim Holah
👍 6

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 16:34

Excellent

Colin Critch
(site admin)
👍 3

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 16:17

Excellent :-) 

John Werner
👍 3

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 15:54

Super exciting times ahead😆

Hans Eriksson
👍 16

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 11:27

20 mph in Charlbury also approved just now. 

Hans Eriksson
👍 23

Thu 23 Mar 2023, 10:52

Both approved by OCC just now.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.