We need to help

Rachael Gibbon
👍 3

Sun 5 Mar 2023, 11:49

A warm thank you to the kind souls in the to the two Catholic parishes of Charlbury and Chipping Norton who have donated over £4,500 to ACN, and to all of those who have made individual efforts and donations.

Thanks too to Father Clive Dytor for arranging these collections and for his continuing attention to this tragedy.

Rachael Gibbon
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 13:12 (last edited on Sun 12 Feb 2023, 13:20)

Thanks, Helen. We've already donated to DEC, and I'm sure others in Charlbury will have and I hope more will feel encouraged to do so. Donations to DEC charities have funded the field hospital that will arrive there this weekend and provide vital medical support to some of the many injured, dehydrated and freezing people who have lost their homes. My thinking was  that community events/efforts can help extend interest and awareness to more people and that's the kind of thing I'm seeking suggestions on from those who have initiated such efforts before. 

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 12:50

FYI

https://acnuk.org/about/

Helen Chapman
👍 4

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 12:27 (last edited on Sun 12 Feb 2023, 12:27)

The DEC (disasters and emergencies committee) coordinates multiple charities to give help on the ground and is the best way to help if you want to donate: https://www.dec.org.uk/appeal/turkey-syria-earthquake-appeal

Rachael Gibbon
👍 2

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 08:44

Thanks, Father Clive. It's great that this charity has found a way to get help through to Syria.

I'd like to identify things we could do as a wider community to help the people of both countries, so any guidance from those with experience of community efforts would be very welcome.

Father Clive Dytor
👍 2

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 06:15 (last edited on Sun 12 Feb 2023, 07:31)

We are having a “ second collection” today in both Charlbury and Chippy Catholic churches to send money to a reputable and established charity called ACN( Aid to the Church in Need). They have been working in Syria for years and have put out an emergency appeal on behalf of all affected. If anyone wants to donate I will make sure the money goes to them.

Rachael Gibbon
👍 5

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 20:16 (last edited on Sat 11 Feb 2023, 20:20)

I don't have experience in leading fundraising efforts, so I'm seeking help and advice from those who have, and those who have watched the heart-rendering scenes in Turkey and Syria over the past week, and feel we need, as a caring community, to respond in a meaningful way. My partner is Turkish, orginally from not far from the epicentre and we lived in Turkey together before moving to Charlbury. I was never made to feel less than welcome and cherised so I have a personal debt to pay, but I'm sure many in our community have known the kindness and hospitality of people in that region as well the recent suffering of Syrians and will want to help.  Please respond if you have ideas or efforts we can all contribute to. 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.