All trains cancelled - Sat 11 Feb

John Dora
👍 1

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 19:44

Looking at the pictures on the RAIB website I would hope they - or the regulator ORR.gov.uk - would ask why the line wasn't opened to traffic earlier. 

In my British Rail days we would have found a quick to implement and lasting fix that would have been installed with trains continuing to run at reduced speed. 

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:00 (last edited on Mon 27 Feb 2023, 16:01)

It would be nice if an investigation was carried out into the ten-day travel response to the blocked line. As as been detailed here, there was often no real source of reliable information about replacement services either at the station (Help point: Walk to Charlbury Village - look it up on google maps) nor via the apps or links which often had conflicting departure and timetable details. 

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 27 Feb 2023, 14:20

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch will be investigating the slip:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/train-striking-debris-at-yarnton

William Crossley
👍 2

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 15:06

The full timetable has been operating all day. 

No cancellations or alterations have been notified on the GWR Journeycheck page at https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/ other than notes that the 17.34 from Paddington (18.24 from Oxford)  and the 21.50 from Paddington (22.45 from Oxford) will both be five-coach trains today, instead of nine coaches.

Emily Algar
👍

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 09:31

Good to know! Thanks for the update James. 

James MacDonald
👍 5

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:27

I'm on the 7:11 train which has run through to Oxford fine with a speed restriction past the bridge. The Train Manager mentioned there'll be more cancellations from around 12pm-4pm today and then trains will be running again after that.

The ticket machine and information boards are functioning at charlbury again.

Tim Gosling
👍

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:15 (last edited on Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:17)

OK. Thanks. According to them everything is back on, but i cant buy a ticket.

Matt Bullock
👍

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:05

Seems like National Rail have timed the failure of their system to coincide with the opening of the line. Try Real Time Trains to track the service you’re after

Tim Gosling
👍

Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:00 (last edited on Wed 22 Feb 2023, 07:02)

According to the GWR website only the 7:11 train is departing today and everything else is cancelled. Who should i trust?

William Crossley
👍 5

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 21:12

Network Rail has just posted to say that the work is completed and that trains will be able to run through to Oxford and London again tomorrow morning. 

There will be a 20mph speed limit in place past the bridge.

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/railway-line-between-oxford-and-worcester-to-reopen-following-repairs-to-wall-collapse-and-landslip-at-yarnton

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 21 Feb 2023, 20:19

Anyone know what’s happening tomorrow - are the trains back to “normal”?

Rachael Gibbon
👍 1

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 18:23

Thanks, Emily. Looks like I'll need to set off early then!

Emily Algar
👍 1

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 16:59

According to GWR and National Rail, the disruption ends at the end of the day on Tuesday - https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/317709.aspx

Rachael Gibbon
👍

Mon 20 Feb 2023, 16:56

Those of you who travelled to Oxford/London today, was normal service resumed? Though the post below says trains would start running again from yesterday, the website says the bus replacement is still in place. I need to be in Oxford for meetings tomorrow morning and trying to gauge what time to set off. Thanks! 

William Crossley
👍 1

Sun 19 Feb 2023, 08:05

Trains will be running to Charlbury and Hanborough again today 

https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates

James MacDonald
👍 1

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 09:08

No, there aren't any trains running at all. The most informative source of what's actually going on is the National Rail Charlbury live departures board.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sat 18 Feb 2023, 08:06

The GWR app currently implies that they are running trains today “16 min direct” - this can’t be right surely? 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 21:40

Trains from Worcester only running to Moreton this weekend, sadly. Bus from there to Charlbury and on to Oxford. 

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 21:26

With the S3 it seems to depend what time of day you are returning from Oxford. Going in isn't too bad - train is not too bad on the whole when it is running properly. They need to put an end to these strikes - more of which are expected in March. They have been going on way too long now. Both sides are afraid to lose face it would seem. 

Carl A Perkins
👍 1

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 09:26

The S3 service bus is probably more reliable and fares are capped at £2.00 - cheap! Most of them terminate at Oxford station too which is handy if you are connecting to a London bound train.

I've managed to avoid going into London this week so am hoping normal train services resume next week.

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 17 Feb 2023, 07:03 (last edited on Fri 17 Feb 2023, 07:04)

And lo and behold they’ve changed the times in the 11th hour! Thanks for nothing GWR!

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 22:11

Just looking at the GWR app for tomorrow and apparently there’s a train/bus leaving at 08:05, 08:27 and 08:31! Where are they going from? Surely we can’t take these seriously! The last 2 are leaving within 4 minutes of each other! This is crazy! Makes no sense! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 09:14

Thanks William 

William Crossley
👍 3

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 09:11 (last edited on Thu 16 Feb 2023, 09:14)

FAO Alex Flynn

What I posted yesterday came from an email GWR/Network Rail sent out yesterday afternoon - but it was essentially the same information that was posted around that time on the GWR website and on GWR's Journeycheck page.

Updates on gwr.com are posted under the Travel Updates button at the top of the home page - page link https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates

Updates on Journeycheck, along with information about cancellations and alterations to services are at https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Nework Rail's media centra posted an article yesterday, including a video recorded at the site and some new photos https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/update-on-closure-of-railway-between-oxford-and-kingham-following-landslip

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:51

The check-train/bus replacement link is now out of date, and currently makes little sense. Fortunately the live train times at the top right of the home page of charlbury.info is now working again, and does indeed show the live times of trains going to and from Charlbury, either to Hanborough (then a minibus from there) or to the West.

Perhaps the news page could be updated again to make this clear.

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:49 (last edited on Thu 16 Feb 2023, 09:24)

You’re being a little pedantic here but I take your point (I blame my lack of sleep for the oversight!) ! To be clear the train unions and their members are on strike (but not this week that I know of!)  And without staff such as already well paid drivers GWR cannot operate which is generally the point of the protest  

Nick Millea
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:42

Alex, surely GWR are not on strike? They never have been.

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:29 (last edited on Thu 16 Feb 2023, 09:02)

GWR seems to be run by a manic fairground operator. Trying to keep up with their many twists and turns whilst trying to get some sleep at night is proving.impossible! I’ve been getting home at stupid o’clock all week and don’t need this! I’m sure I’m not alone! GWR have a lot to answer for this week and don’t appear to give a sod how much they inconvenience people. As long as they get their half term break - to hell with the passenger! I have no sympathy for any of the strikes hereafter. We are being treated with utter contempt. 

James MacDonald
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:17

Train to Hanborough and then bus from Hanborough. So I'm assuming there are no more rail replacement buses from any stations other than Hanborough as the train went from Worcester to Hanborough (and was going back).

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:16

James, re minibus to Hanborough, did that pick up you up from Charlbury station (as its seems from National Rail Enquiries) or the Scout Hut?  Is it then going onto Oxford?

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:15

From Charlbury Station James? Or the Scout Hut? 

James MacDonald
👍 1

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 08:00

The 7:33 ran to Hanborough this morning where we've been met by a minibus to Oxford. 

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Thu 16 Feb 2023, 00:56

For the want of a station master  ?!

Gareth Epps
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 23:03

The information William Crossley has posted is First Group’s latest update.

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 22:04

William Crossley where does your information come from please. So I can keep up to date please post the link

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 21:56

The way GWR have handled this whole situation has been shocking all round. Shelagh Scott's post says it all. Older people really are treated with contempt in today's world. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 16:41 (last edited on Wed 15 Feb 2023, 16:44)

The information supplied by GWR in the latest update (see below and also on news page) is rather misleading as far as Charlbury passengers are concerned. 

The link to buses to Oxford might be at Kingham for those travelling from the west, but there are also Rail Replacement buses leaving from "Charlbury Village" = 9 Acres/The Scout Hut. Times can be seen by clicking the supplied link: https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/check-your-journey.

William Crossley
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 16:16

New update from GWR - line looks likely to be shut until next Wednesday

Following our update on Monday, we’re writing to provide you the latest about the landslip at Cassington Road bridge in Oxfordshire last Friday (10 February) which closed the railway between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh.

Network Rail engineers…

Long post - click to read full text

Shelagh Scott
👍 5

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 14:02

There is nothing at the station to explain what has happened, which trains are operating, or where people should go to catch the bus. At midday today there was an older Charlbury resident on the platform  wanting to go to Oxford. He couldn't understand why the train at the platform (showing Paddington on the side panels) had the doors locked and moved off in the Oxford direction. He said he didn't use a computer and had no idea about the landslip. 

As the information boards are not working, I wonder how many people have spent time waiting in vain.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 10:34

It’s the weight limit on the river bridge – rail replacement buses aren’t allowed over it.

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 10:17

What is it with this scout hut/Charlbury village? What is wrong with Charlbury station from a point to point perspective? GWR seem to be making this up as they go along! Maybe it will be going from Five Ways tomorrow! Or whatever random slot they choose! 

Christine Battersby
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 09:48 (last edited on Wed 15 Feb 2023, 09:50)

Now corrected on the National Rail Journey Planner to 1 hr 10 mins from Charlbury Village (= 9 Acres/Scout Hut). 25 mins to Hanborough, so going the right way! https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/service/planjourney/search

Still wrong on the GWR website and also the GWR app. 

Can I remind people there is a direct no 7 bus to Oxford Parkway on weekday and Saturday mornings (6.14 Enstone Bus shelter, 6.15 at Bell, 6.16 Fiveways) and several back in the late afternoon/evening (that is until the service is cancelled on March 5th). 

On Saturdays only there is also a really useful S3 bus from The Bell at 8.27 (9 Acres and Enstone Rd before that). Also at 7.27 (same route). The 7.27 runs on weekdays but the 8.27 does not.

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 08:30

They seem to be going via Kingham today which is in the opposite direction to Oxford from Charlbury! It defies logic! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 15 Feb 2023, 08:28

According to the GWR  app the less frequent bus replacements today will take 2 hours and 10 minutes from Charlbury to Oxford! Yesterday they took just 45 minutes! What the hell is going on? It’s like a Wild West where they seem to do what they like! The replacement busses don’t update until the day of travel so nobody knows what is going on in advance! 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 14 Feb 2023, 20:49

The latest update says that trains won’t be running to Oxford until the end of February 21st (i.e. next Tuesday), and that the rail replacement buses will be calling at ‘Charlbury Village’ – aka the Scout Hut on Nine Acres Lane – rather than the station because of the weight limit on the river bridge.

https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates

Nick Millea
👍 4

Tue 14 Feb 2023, 15:47

I cycled over the affected bridge at about 11.00 this morning - bikes can get through. I asked the Network Rail blokes on the bridge "How's it going?" and their rather disconcerting response was "It isn't!". From the top of the bridge, it isn't possible to see the extent of the damage where the bricks fell (the BBC photo), so I can't comment on whether things have improved since the weekend.

Andrew Chapman
👍 1

Tue 14 Feb 2023, 09:53

Be warned that although there are buses to Oxford advertised at set times, they turn up rather randomly, if at all! (Oxford station currently laying on taxis in the Moreton direction).

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 14 Feb 2023, 08:25

The first train from Charlbury westbound has departed. It looks like they’re running regularly through the day to Worcester. Nothing eastbound of course. 

Alex Flynn
👍

Tue 14 Feb 2023, 07:28 (last edited on Tue 14 Feb 2023, 07:35)

If you travel, bear in mind the last rail replacement bus going back to Charlbury on GWR’s app is currently 13:45! That’s not much use! But then this is GWR!

Philip Ambrose
👍 3

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 22:43

@richard fairhurst “in flux” sounds like a typo to me! :-)

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 22:11

Many thanks - an early morning review of timetables looks to be the start of the working day 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 21:44

It looks like it’s in flux. No trains running today, just a replacement bus shuttle between Moreton and Oxford. But RealTimeTrains seems to be suggesting that from tomorrow, the Worcester trains might run to/from Charlbury. No Oxford-bound trains until the end of the week by the look of it.

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 21:31

Are trains running towards Worcester ? All a bit confusing and a difference of opinion on Trainline and GWR websites ! Any help or knowledge very welcome before going back to the reliable mode of car travel 

Mark Sulik
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 19:52

Is normal service anticipated tomorrow morning, or a trip to Oxford Parkway ? 

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 19:43

Oxford Mail www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23319375.great-western-railways-services-oxford-cancelled-week/?ref=rss&fbclid=IwAR3lePF7NBa18ex_mEpqDAICT1DMm_JEkAJrUXKIve_2cUhRCRhfpKqhe2c

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 18:31

Bet this wouldn’t be the case with the Japanese bullet train system 

Matt Bullock
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 16:02

To be fair to GWR (for a change) the issue with the landslip/damage to the track is surely a Network Rail issue, and they will be responsible for fixing it and opening the line again once they are satisfied it is safe. Only then can GWR attempt to recommence the train service; when this is is currently totally out of their hands.

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 15:27

As I said earlier it is half term meaning a lot of their staff will be off. This seems to have an impact on the way things run at GWR at a normal time, let alone with these "complexities" thrown in the mix

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 14:10

A couple of trains running to Moreton this afternoon (Monday 13/2) and as normal in both directions after 19.00 according to the GWR site here https://www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/check-your-journey

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:36 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:41)

GWR says online that trains should be running again tomorrow (Tuesday) . Not sure the BBC story is up-to-date. Very confusing! Not sure whether the line is closed until tomorrow or for the whole week. 

Birgit den Outer
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:21

And here is a BBC write up of it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-64616343. Judging by the photo, looks like an accident waiting to happen. And how those poor passengers had to wait five (!) hours to be rescued...Meanwhile, no public transport on a major commuter route for an entire week (or longer). Good job I'm on strike this week.  

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 13:06

First Group's comms department have finally woken up and sent this:

We wanted to update you following a landslip next to the railway between Oxford and Hanborough in Oxfordshire that occurred on Friday evening, meaning that section of line is currently closed and is likely to be closed until the weekend.

A landslip near Yarnton in Oxfordshire happened on the line, as well as parts of Cassington Road bridge collapsing meaning the line has been blocked. Network Rail engineers are onsite investigating the causes and working on a solution to safely reopen the railway and the road bridge as soon as possible, however due to the complexities it is likely to closed until the weekend.

The line between Oxford and Moreton-in-Marsh remains closed today. We have rail replacement buses in place between Moreton-in-Marsh and Oxford, and a shuttle rail service between Moreton-in-Marsh and Worcester. GWR Worcester-London services will run on a diversionary route via Swindon and we also have ticket acceptance in place with Chiltern, CrossCountry, Avanti West Coast and West Midlands Trains.

Journeys can be checked at https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/ where customers can also sign up for specific alerts.

We will be in touch again once we know when the line will reopen.

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 12:38 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 12:40)

I initially thought they were referring to alternative transport but I see your point now thanks Matt. Glad I am not travelling today but I fear for the rest of the week when I am in the London direction (as you put it!)! All very stessful regardless 

Matt Bullock
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 12:32

Alex, the "shuttle services" referred to are trains. I don't think running Charlbury to Moreton would solve many problems, most I imagine wish to travel in the London direction.

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:31 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:35)

Latest updates

www.gwr.com/travel-information/travel-updates/live-network-updates?fbclid=IwAR3ENaVUg9Q4rCTFa64ezaaLIuRaWLK1vxeOhwqaJRJDVYSU8tR8EzlwWC0

"GWR are aiming to operate a number of shuttle services between Worcester Shrub Hill and Moreton in Marsh."

Not Charlbury then! What a shower....

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:28 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 11:34)

www.bbc.com/news/business-64600975.

The RMT rejected the latest pay offer last week according to the BBC

Gareth Epps
👍 1

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:16

Pretty sure there's a weight restriction on that road.

And I don't think you can blame Mick Lynch for this type of strike....

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:14

I’m sure they’re due another strike next week! So this will probably drag on! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:07 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:11)

I’m no bridge expert but I imagine this land slip could be caused by down to heavy goods vehicles going over the bridge that shouldn’t be? Correct me if I am wrong

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:02 (last edited on Mon 13 Feb 2023, 10:10)

Thanks Gareth. It just sounds like so many things in this country under the current administration  - poorly maintained -  nothing works. To add to it, nobody manning (if you are allowed to say that these days!) the ticket office for months and a broken ticket machine and boards that give no information! A total farce!

Gareth Epps
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 09:44

The embankment on one side of the bridge carrying the Yarnton-Cassington road moved, causing a collapse of the flank wall - hence why bricks were on the line. The train hit the debris as described in the thread.

They tried running some services yesterday with a 5mph speed restriction but there was more movement.

It raises questions about the level of safety inspections and the risk of similar incidences.

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 09:38

Are they laying on alternative transport from Charlbury  - they have had plenty of time to organise it

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 09:35

Do you have any idea why? It all coincides rather nicely with half term. If they aren’t striking they are breaking things. Try getting to and from work around them - it’s nigh on impossible! 

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 13 Feb 2023, 07:32

Unfortunately there has been further movement and trains have been cancelled again.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 18:26

Thanks Alan

Alan Cobb
👍 3

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 17:22

Trains are running again, but rather delayed as they have to go past the Yarnton road bridge at 5mph.

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 11:25

Maybe that was it! 

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 10:02

Trying to fathom what the bricks were doing there having heard something about train hitting a bridge 

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 09:57

Thanks for the update Richard

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Sun 12 Feb 2023, 08:28

Currently expected to reopen this evening (Sunday). 

Devinder Sivia
👍 2

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 14:39

I was on the 18:24 from Oxford yesterday that hit the landslip/bricks from the the Yarnton/Cassington Road bridge. Finally got to Charlbury after midnight, having eventually been evacuated onto a relief train. A 6-hour journey from Oxford to Charlbury, but much better than a derailment (which is what a feared given the loud banging noises that erupted when we hit the debris on the track).

nigel rosser
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 13:07

Phew. Thanks Andrew! Good info.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2023, 07:41 (last edited on Sat 11 Feb 2023, 07:47)

Due to a landslip at Hanborough, there are no trains from Charlbury today. Details here. Tickets valid on other routes eg Chiltern Trains.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.