Site up - www.futureproofmyhouse.co.uk

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 13:34

Thanks Miles, looks interesting and the web site looks great too...

stephen cavell
👍 5

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 09:16

Downsizing is all very well while you are fit and healthy but as you get older you may need a family member or carer to come and live in

Miles Walkden
👍 1

Wed 8 Feb 2023, 08:15

I totally agree Matthew, Downsizing and house-share are really important - I've got a few pages dedicated to them - http://www.futureproofmyhouse.co.uk/retro-fit-for-ageing/homeshare-oxford; http://www.futureproofmyhouse.co.uk/retro-fit-for-ageing/retirement-living.

Any more thoughts and local info would be great to add if people have ideas to add?

Matthew Greenfield
👍 4

Mon 6 Feb 2023, 13:44 (last edited on Mon 6 Feb 2023, 13:50)

The main problem with being young is that housing is becoming unaffordable (I say this as an old person in a half-empty family home!). 

Published just yesterday: Exorbitant house prices don’t just hurt the young. They are a blight on all our lives

An intractable political and social problem with no easy solutions...

Leah Fowler
👍 19

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 14:00

The main problem with getting old is that some people are so patronising!  

Charlie M
👍 5

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 12:51

Exactly, Mark ... and another factor too ... whether it is anyone else's business! ;-) 

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 12:22

Choice, Desire, and ability to do so. Otherwise people naturally downsize or move if and when they want to . Many factors, parking and proximity to shops and services come into play

James Norris
👍 4

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 09:04

Downsizing should really be highly encouraged to allow the next generation to move up to the sort of family home they need in a period where building of new home is far below demand. There’s so many older people in 4+ bed properties that are in need of modernisation and upkeep. I really don’t understand the desire to stay in such a place when it’s highly impractical, they could free up money and move to a place much better suited to their needs.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 4 Feb 2023, 13:29 (last edited on Sat 4 Feb 2023, 13:30)

I've had a quick look just now on the new site: www.futureproofmyhouse.co.uk

First impression is it looks good - well done. I'll snoop about a bit more over the next few days. We're just on the cusp - kids moving out one by one, retirement for my partner soon and do we stay or downsize? There must be a market for this sort of information to be collated.

Miles Walkden
👍 4

Thu 2 Feb 2023, 13:32

Hi all,

Please be gentle on design, but my first website is up and running and looking for feedback. The idea is for a place to focus on updating houses (and attitudes) around issues of energy use and ageing in place.

95% of the site is free information. I am selling a couple of products, but only ones I would promote anyway because I think they are good. 10% of any profits will go to a fund for local people with fewer means (are means plural? Less means?).

Please let me know what you would like to see on the site. If you are local and want to help deliver any of the services (builders, handymen/women, legal services, well-being, etc) get in touch.

Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.