Is anybody actually in charge in GWR?

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 15:08

Nikki, Thank you. That's really helpful.

I'll go back to using the GWR online site and getting my tickets through them when it makes sense to do so. It would be helpful, however, if the info on the GWR booking site were accurate, and not as thoroughly misleading as it is now.

Apparently today there's a story in the Sunday Telegraph about Rishi Sunak's intention to abolish return rail fares. If so, I expect that's a preface to a hidden price rise, along the lines of GWR refusing to recognise on their smartcard the existence of Supersaver returns from Charlbury.

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Sun 5 Feb 2023, 12:58

Christine, just to try and help, and I have a journey booked for this week, this is what it says on my email booking and the attachment is always there but way down as I’ve said, past the blurb.  ( I agree the App is unreliable) :

A PDF backup of all tickets in this booking is also attached. This can be printed, or displayed on a mobile device, should it be needed. If you have bought a ticket on behalf of someone else, you can forward this email and PDF attachment for them to use when travelling. If the attachment is missing or you are unable to open the attachment, click here to access your travel documents from the "My Bookings" section. You will be prompted to login to access your account.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Fri 3 Feb 2023, 17:44

Nikki : Thank you. But when I go to book online on the GWR site when the delivery choices show up it explicitly says by the e-ticket option: "Delivered straight to your mobile app for FREE. You will need the GWR app to use your tickets."

Given the app is so often not working, this has put me off from buying a ticket from them. Is that not true? Somebody else I know also read this in the same way.

The other alternatives are Smartcard (but that doesn't allow Supersaver tickets from Charlbury Station, at least according to the Ticket Office at Paddington Station), ticket machine or 1st-class post. 

None of my past emails from GWR had an e-ticket attached that can be opened on the phone independent of the app, but perhaps things have changed. 

Thanks for your advice on this.

Carl A Perkins
👍 2

Fri 3 Feb 2023, 16:46

Bring back Theresa! (The old line manager Oxford - Worcester). She was excellent at getting issues large and small addressed by the relevant people and actioned as quickly as possible.

In regard to the e-tickets, when you book on the app, I think you have to select the electronic copy delivered to mobile device option otherwise you just get a booking reference that you have to either key into the ticket machine or give to the member of staff in the booking office.

Nikki Rycroft
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2023, 15:31

Christine, I always  have an e-ticket attached to my email as a pdf attachment ....admittedly miles down past the blurb........have you checked ? 

Gareth Epps
👍 3

Fri 3 Feb 2023, 08:08

The station is technically Network Rail’s property, so they and First Group (they’re not the Great Western Railway) will be unpicking a) asbestos removal issues, b) listed building issues and c) who pays for the works.

What is totally dismal is the lack of commitment to get this basic infrastructure running somewhere on the station, which obviously has power.

The line’s station manager should be attending February’s Town Council meeting.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 2 Feb 2023, 12:58

Agree with Steve about GWR's response to the ticket machine/station/departure board problems.

I think the problem is even more serious than he suggests given that GWR does not send e-tickets when booking online, and its own app frequently does not work when trying to book tickets and reserve seats -- at least on my own Samsung smartphone.

I picked up a GWR smartcard last time I was in London. But that's not much help, since each journey needs to be validated in advance on the non-functioning ticket machine. In addition  the GWR smartcard does allow people to add super-saver return tickets to the smart card.

I have been using a different app, but with train strikes ongoing I would much prefer to be using GWR's own booking tool in case I need to apply for a refund.

Emily Algar
👍 4

Thu 2 Feb 2023, 12:48

Steve, I reached out to a contact I had in the GWR's communication team and they reached out to the regional manager who gave the above response. I had hoped for some clarification and dates on when the station/ticket machine/depature boards would be up and running. Some clarity was provided but no dates sadly.

Yes, it is a pathetic response but don't shoot the messenger in the communications team. The blame should be put at the feet of Mark Hopwood and the Dept for Transport, and if you want to go further back Thatcher and Major for privatising the railways. 

Steve Jones
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2023, 11:14 (last edited on Thu 2 Feb 2023, 11:15)

This is surely a pathetic response by GWR. I do wonder how they manage their contracts if they can be fobbed off without even a provisional estimate for getting things like the ticket machine and departure boards working again. Presumably they are counting on everybody having smartphones these days for their lack of urgency in fixing this.

"From GWR's Communication Team:
There is no current expected time of when power to the ticket machine and departure boards will be resolved as it is in the hands of GWR's maintenance contractor. But things won’t be back to normal until the leak has been resolved, the fuse box replaced and the station re-wired."

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.