Vacherin v Rollright

Rod Evans
👍

Tue 3 Jan 2023, 21:25

Thanks for the explanation Christine - given the no of books I have on stone circles etc, should have spotted the King Stone connection myself!

Great idea Jan.  And an obvious place to hold meetings.  Anyone else interested??  Might even add a little wine...

Not sure of their stocking Paul - but am told they may have both in shortly....

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 3 Jan 2023, 11:40 (last edited on Tue 3 Jan 2023, 12:15)

I really enjoy Rollright cheese, and understand that it was originally made at Rollright, on the Oxfordshire side of the Rollright Stones. King Stone Dairy moved to Gloucestershire in 2019 to make more space for producing their outstanding cheeses, including also the Little Rollright and Evenlode Cheeses.

The King Stone Dairy is presumably named after the King Stone which is part of the (three) Circles of the Rollright Stones.

I had never heard of Vacherin -- or, indeed, Reblochon.

Glad that the discussion of cheeses has been moved back from the Debate Section to the main part of the Forum.

Jan Going
👍 1

Tue 3 Jan 2023, 09:59

I've never heard of Rollright cheese.  I only know of the stones just up the road from Chippy.  Incidentally, I discovered Chaource cheese over Christmas - another cheese that is not often heard of.  A Cheese Appreciation Society is called for.....

Hans Eriksson
👍 1

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 21:44

The Reblochon comment is because were served that cheese at the end of a memorable meal in Saignon, Luberon many years ago. We didn't know what it was but found out subsequently that it is made from unpasteurised milk. Thus not available outside of France. It is very much like a camenbert, but better, 

Paul Rassam
👍

Mon 2 Jan 2023, 11:36

'It's a Reblochon hybrid!' may be my favourite line from a decade or so of reading the forum.  I didn't know that the deli occasionally stocked Rollright.  Thank you for mentioning it, Rod.

Rod Evans
👍 3

Sun 1 Jan 2023, 20:58

Surprised to find what was intended as a jokey little item cast into the Outer Darkness of the Debate section!

As Hans says, it's about cheese.  One a seasonal Alpine product, the other from Kingstone Dairy near Chedworth - as they admit, inspired by Vacherin.  Both are or have been at some time available at our wonderful Charlbury Deli, hence the local connection.  Get down there and try some! IMHO the Rollright is just as good as the Vacherin - though not cheap...

Steve Darnell
👍 2

Sun 1 Jan 2023, 16:49

Is it me or are some of the threads on the Forum becoming bizarrely esoteric? Why is this of interest to anyone in Charlbury? 

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 1 Jan 2023, 13:56

Cheese! https://www.georgeandjoseph.co.uk/products/rollright

Phil Morgan
👍 1

Sun 1 Jan 2023, 13:11

Rod, Jan, Hans: can one of you explain what this thread is all about?

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 18:38

It's a Reblochon hybrid!

Jan Going
👍 1

Sat 31 Dec 2022, 16:12

I thought vacherin was a Swiss cheese?

Rod Evans
👍 3

Thu 29 Dec 2022, 22:54 (last edited on Fri 30 Dec 2022, 00:08)

Like Waterloo, 'a damn close run thing'.  And we know who won that one....

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.