Blandford Flies

Andrew Chapman
👍 1

Fri 10 May, 19:00

Pedantic note: they are also common in Dorset, hence being named after Blandford Forum. 

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 10 May, 18:24 (last edited on Fri 10 May, 18:28)

Here's the link, and below the text if one doesn't want to click through:

https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/news/miu-update-patients-with-blandford-fly-bites/?highlight=blandford+fly

=================

MIU update: Patients with Blandford fly bites

BLANDFORD FLY: Our Minor Injury Units have seen a significant increase in patients with bites from the Blandford fly – a bloodsucking black fly, 2 to 3mm…

Long post - click to read full text

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 10 May, 18:19 (last edited on Fri 10 May, 18:19)

Beware: Chlorphenamine - I. think, and if recall correctly - is the "old-fashioned" (but still most effective by a good margin) "sledgehammer" Anti-histamine.

It's the one that can blunt reaction speed, make one drowsy, and in some people actually sleepy, and the warnings to not drive or operate machinery should be taken seriously.

But it does still work better at reducing nasty and intrusive symptoms than the more recent chemicals, although for the sort of "ordinary" hay fever allergies etc those later generation drugs are usually quite acceptable.

Brian Murray
👍

Fri 10 May, 17:11

Thanks Alison, that's very helpful. 

Alison Nicholls
👍 3

Fri 10 May, 00:15

The good news about Blandford flies is that these little black flies don’t carry infection in their mouthparts.( Infections are not common and occur several days later usually from scratching or broken blisters . ) The bad news is everything else about them! 
The saliva they inject as they bite causes a local allergic reaction  with its redness, blistering  and pain ; individuals vary in the severity of the reaction. After her blood feed the female then lays her eggs on water reeds , the larvae hatch and live in the Thames and its tributaries until they emerge in Mid April. They then fly  around about 18 “ above the ground looking for bare skin, they cannot penetrate clothing.  They have generally finished biting by late June. These bite reactions respond well to the strong antihistamine Chlorphenamine ( Piriton) , (rather than the weak one- a -day ones such as Piriteze) plus painkillers and Hydrocortisone or antihistamine cream. It is worth having these pharmacy items ready.

Oxfordhealth have a new leaflet The Blandford Fly online at  www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/about-us/ publications/ 

These flies are pretty unique to us in Oxfordshire and North Berkshire, so calling 111 and describing new insect bites with large reactions will result in you joining the numerous patients incorrectly given the national advice to seek antibiotics from MIU or a GP surgery. 

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 9 May, 18:14

It used to be recommended by the army to protect against biting gnats. 

However, I haven't found it very effective against Blandford fly. Cover up is the best protection. 

Diana Limburg
👍 2

Thu 9 May, 16:20

@Father Clive, given that it suspect it is inadvisable to apply 'Skin So Soft' to private parts, I would say that it is gender neutral :-)

Father Clive Dytor
👍 1

Thu 9 May, 14:04 (last edited on Thu 9 May, 15:39)

The dreaded Blandford fly has struck twice this week on an innocent clerical body. A leg and an arm were attacked. No mercy was shown by the beastie. Is “ Skin so Soft” gender neutral?

Tracey Jones
👍 4

Thu 9 May, 12:50

I'm am Avon rep and you can your Skin so Soft spray at www.shopwithmyrep.co.uk/avon/tjones-shop ;

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Thu 9 May, 12:12

I second the recommendation for the Avon dry oil spray, also known as Skin so Soft. Works brilliantly and smells nice.

I think May and June are the peak months for Blandford flies.

Maureen Nash
👍 1

Thu 9 May, 10:59

Beware the Blandford fly! They seem to thrive in my garden despite not having a pond or water feature to try to minimise risk. One has feasted on me for breakfast  this morning. They don’t seem to go for everyone though: spouse has never been bitten……. Does anyone know when their season ends? 

Wendy Bailey
👍 2

Wed 24 Apr, 15:26

Or invest in " Avon dry oil spray" use on any exposed skin. It seems the little bliters  don't like it. Iwas bitten on my collar bone and ankles and hadn't been near long grass water or ponds. I'm not an Avon rep, I got my spray from amazon. Convenient and delivered the next day. 

Kate Smith
👍 2

Mon 22 Apr, 13:25

It seems unlikely that they will carry out a similar control programme on the Evenlode (though I understand they did spray the Cherwell in the past because they discovered the Blandford fly bite can be deadly to cattle so it became almost commercially viable) so let's hope that the current influx of toxins from Thames water proves to be deadly to the Blandford larvae...

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 22 Apr, 12:00

For those with garden ponds, I also recommend mosquito dunks and/or mosquito bits, available on amazon and e-bay.

• Dunks® (larvicide) utilize a naturally-occurring type of bacteria to control mosquitoes before they become flying, biting, potentially disease-carrying adults.

• Dunks® do not use chemicals to control mosquitoes.

• They are effective on mosquito and blackfly larvae, and have been recommended for use in backyard ponds or fountains where fish, frogs, tadpoles, and other aquatic animals live.

In Dorset the same biological control (bti) has been used to control the number of Blandford flies in the river Stour for the last 30 years: https://www.buglobalenvironmentalsolutions.co.uk/post/another-successful-blandford-fly-treatment-on-the-river-stour

Covering of ankles and bare flesh is still strongly advised! 

Elaine Kazimierczuk
👍 5

Mon 22 Apr, 11:29

Blandford Flies. Just a timely warning that these little black flies will soon be out looking for tasty ankles, etc. Worth covering up in long grass especially near water. The bite can be very unpleasant as I know to my cost.

https://www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk/news/miu-update-patients-with-blandford-fly-bites/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.